Runner killed on Highway 17

A Quincy man was killed Wednesday, May 30 when he was struck by a vehicle while trying to cross Highway 17 on foot about three miles north of Moses Lake.

According to a report from the Washington State Patrol, Boris (Ben) Horning, 20, was running on the northbound shoulder of Highway 17 about 11:45 a.m. when he attempted to cross both lanes of travel and was struck by an 1993 County Coach Motorhome towing a 2008 Jeep traveling in the northbound lane driven by Steven P. Stetner, 53, of Ephrata. Stetner and passenger Kimberly P. Stetner, 54, also of Ephrata, were not injured.

The cause of the accident is under investigation.

16 Comments

#1

J.M commented, on May 30, 2012 at 7:15 p.m.:

THIS IS VERY SAD HE WAS A GREAT GUY AND MY HE BE REST IN PEACE I KNOW HE UP IN HEAVEN WITH THE REST OF THE ANGELS

#2

Rainy commented, on May 30, 2012 at 8:40 p.m.:

So sad to hear this news, for both families... Prayers to you all

#3

j.k.m.o commented, on May 31, 2012 at 1:26 a.m.:

love yu ben will miss yu...hard to belive yu really gone <3 r.i.p

#4

Amanda Hinojosa commented, on May 31, 2012 at 7:44 a.m.:

Now gone but NEVER forgotten...you will be in our prayers and as well as your family...this is just sooo sad and still unbelievable to us all!! RIP BEN HORNING...you are now in the arms of God..you will be missed but never forgotten!!

#5

blondie commented, on May 31, 2012 at 9:37 a.m.:

we are all going to miss you very much Ben! may you rest in peace. prayers going out for the Horning family and the Stetner family. <3

#6

y.a commented, on May 31, 2012 at 10:14 a.m.:

R.I.P BEN HORNING

**GOD NEEDED ANOTHER ANGEL. WITH GOD YOU CAN FINISH
YOUR RUN IN HEAVEN 5-30-12

#7

Yessica Hernandez commented, on May 31, 2012 at 12:46 p.m.:

Iv'e known that every summer something has to happen, someone has to go away and so many tears. i didn't really know ben but may you rest in peace<3 my prayers go to your family.

i'll join everyone eles in the 3 mile run for ben <3

#8

alexa commented, on May 31, 2012 at 1:18 p.m.:

im so sorry he was a wondeful guy he was really nice and hear at quincy high school we all miss him and we are all really sad!!! :( (~*REST IN PEACE *BEN* *~)

#9

EDUARDO commented, on May 31, 2012 at 1:19 p.m.:

THAT IS SO SAD TO HERE THAT BEN HORNING DIED EVEN THOE I DID NOT NO BEN I WOULD OF SAID THAT HE WAS A GREAT GUY IF I EVER GOT TO MEET HIM GOD NEEDED A GREAT PERSON SO HE TOOK BEN TO BE HIS GREAT ANGEL IN HEAVEN ALL MY PRAYERS GO OUT TO THE HORNING FAMILY YOUR SON WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN

#10

S.Alvarado commented, on May 31, 2012 at 2:23 p.m.:

(R)un (I)n (P)aradise Ben Horning<3

#11

Michaelle Brown commented, on May 31, 2012 at 5:34 p.m.:

OMG I am so sorry for the family and my thoughts and prayers are with you!

#12

Beltrleo509 commented, on May 31, 2012 at 7:04 p.m.:

Ben u will be missed

#13

Annie commented, on June 1, 2012 at 9:57 a.m.:

Ben was the nephew of my best friend. Her heart is broken, my prayers are with the entire family. I am so sorry for the loss. I wish I could take your pain away.

#14

sheila commented, on June 1, 2012 at 7:28 p.m.:

I worked with Ben at WalMart. He always had a smile on his face. He was always polite.I am so sorry for this loss. My prayers to everyone that was there that day on the highway and had to wittness such a tragic accident. And especially to the families.

#15

Carmen commented, on June 1, 2012 at 9:16 p.m.:

Ben was an awesome person. My prayers go out to his family and his girlfriend. He will be missed.

#16

Noah commented, on June 1, 2012 at 10:08 p.m.:

God speed Ben. you made me feel welcome here in Washington. Even gave me a nickname... keep running Ben, cuz you and i are gonna have one hell of a race when i finally kick the bucket. god be with you till we meet again.