During the 2017-2018 flu season, the percentage of deaths attributed to pneumonia and influenza (P&I) was at or above the epidemic threshold for 16 consecutive weeks. During the past five seasons, the average number of weeks this indicator was above threshold was 11 (range 7-15 weeks). Nationally the mortality attributed to P&I exceeded 10% for four consecutive weeks, peaking at 10.8% during the week of January 20, 2018.

The CDC estimates that influenza was associated with more than 48.8 million illnesses, more than 22.7 million medical visits, 959,000 hospitalizations and 79,000 deaths during the 2017-2018 influenza season.

The CDC estimates that influenza was associated with more than 490,000 hospitalizations and 34,200 deaths during the 2018-2019 flu seasons.

All of the above information was taken directly from the CDC web site.

The reason I have provided this information to you is to give you some perspective as to the variance of the flu season from year to year. Compare the numbers to COVID-19. Life is full of risks; enough said.

The question now has to be asked as to why the governor--who was not at all concerned about the transmission and spread of the flu virus or the deaths associated with it during the 2017, 2018 and 2019 flu season--is concerned now? The governor has taken away your constitutional rights of freedom of assembly and to attend the church of your choice. These rights are guaranteed to you in the constitution of our great country! What guise will the governor use the next time he decides to subvert the Constitution? He has not only closed the schools, but almost all small businesses. The damage the governor has done to the economy and to small businesses financially is astronomical and will take years to recover from his actions. The governor has appointed himself as a dictator. Are you willing to give up your constitutional rights for which millions have died in the procurement thereof?

The oath I took 54 years ago when I joined the U.S. military was to defend this country from all enemies foreign and domestic. As I write this on June 6, 2020, I was watching a documentary about D-Day 1944 and the invasion of Europe to liberate it from the dictator Adolf Hitler. Thousands of American servicemen gave their lives to end this tyrant’s hold on that day, and for many days thereafter. Do not substitute your rights for false securities as all too soon you will have neither if these actions by the governor are allowed to continue.

It is time to take legal action against the governor and remove him from office and reclaim our constitutional rights.

Tony Stadelman, George

Join the online forum

Discuss this article with your neighbors or join the community conversation. Powered by our sister paper, The Wenatchee World.