Dear Editor,

On July 1st, President Trump tweeted: “….horrible BLM chant, “Pigs In A Blanket, Fry ‘Em Like Bacon”. Maybe our GREAT Police, who have been neutralized and scorned by a mayor who hates & disrespects them, won’t let this symbol of hate be affixed to New York’s greatest street. Spend this money fighting crime instead!”

He’s right.

Black lives have mattered and literally allowed exclusive privileges—for some time now—that people of other races would not accept or allow. A few examples follow:

Black Entertainment Television (BET) has been around for a long time. Racist by its very name, in 1991, the network became the first black-controlled TV company to be listed on the New York Stock Exchange, according to Wikipedia.

Ever heard of the NAACP? The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People is a civil rights organization in the United States, formed in 1909 as a bi-racial endeavor to advance justice for African Americans by a group including W. E. B. Du Bois, Mary White Ovington, Moorfield Storey and Ida B. Wells. It may have started out on the right track, but by today’s standards and with heightened awareness of what’s racist and what’s not, it’s time that companies or organizations like the Congressional Black Caucus, B. E. T., and the NAACP either be abolished because of their undeniable racism, or at the very least adopt a non-racist name.

I’m not interested in having a W. E. T. (White Entertainment Television), a National Association for the Advancement of White People, or a Congressional White Caucus. Anyone who even suggested such a thing would be justifiably called a racist and anyone insisting such organizations should exist would obviously be promoting racism. In 2020, clearly, it’s time for black racist organizations to be judged equally.

If I were black, displaying a confederate flag would be offensive and painful to me. Like Adolph Hitler, it’s only rightful place is in history books. As a matter of fact, a lot of us who aren’t black find it offensive and hurtful. I think anyone who wants to display or fly a confederate flag is not only ignorant, but is mean-spirited, and should be reprimanded and shunned.

Black lives matter more to the majority of white people than they do to other black people. This is undeniable, given the fact that black-on-black deaths are still off the charts. Why?

Dwight Needens, Quincy

Join the online forum

Discuss this article with your neighbors or join the community conversation. Powered by our sister paper, The Wenatchee World.