While driving out of Quincy toward Ephrata, along State Route 28, one can spot a yellow school bus, parked next to the Quincy School District Transportation Department and bus yard.
Rain or shine, the bus has a sign that reads “Bus drivers wanted.” There’s a reason for that: QSD staff says they are always hiring.
“11 out of 12 months a year we are hiring drivers,” Quincy School District Superintendent John Boyd said.
Tina Winters, Transportation Specialist, said that the district never has enough bus drivers because drivers get sick, take vacation or aren’t available every time a driver is needed. The district needs drivers for more than just their morning and afternoon routes; they need drivers for sports teams, clubs and field trips as well.
In order to drive for the district, adults must complete a Type 2 Driver Licensing according to the QSD website.
The QSD Transportation Department developed the Type 2 Driver Licensing protocol in an effort to ensure the safety of students and staff and to meet a reasonable standard of care from a risk management perspective. The training course consists of an explanation of district requirements and a presentation on defensive driving. The class lasts about 20-30 minutes.
Type 2 Requirements that drivers must meet and continue to meet during employment include:
• Holding a valid Washington State driver’s license
• Current driver’s abstract for the past 5 years. Be sure to check the ‘complete record’ box. Driving Abstract is valid for 3 years with no infractions on record. Driving Abstracts with violations are subject to yearly renewal. The district will reimburse the employee for the cost of obtaining the Driving Abstract.
• Current and valid first aid\CPR card or equivalent (only required for
individuals transporting students)
• Disclosure statement
• FBI and Washington State Patrol criminal record check
• Successfully complete Type 2 Authorization Course through the Transportation Department
• Proof of personal vehicle insurance
Anyone interested in driving for the district is asked to talk to Arnold Duncan at the School District office located at 721 F Street SE. The QSD Transportation Department can be reached at 509-787-2915.