Jacks football team falls to East Valley in season opener

Quincy linemen practice Wednesday before the team’s first game of the season, a non-league matchup with East Valley High School of Yakima.

The Quincy Jacks showed a strong running game Friday against the East Valley High School Red Devils in the Jacks’ first game of the season, ending up on the losing end of the 21-0 final score.

Quincy’s Kenny Thompson had a standout game as the main ball carrier on offense and made many defensive stops while playing linebacker.

Ethan Gregg played well at quarterback, keeping miscues to a minimum and helping the Jacks put together a few strong drives. Gregg on defense also made some key plays to stop the Red Devils.

It was the Quincy High School varsity football team’s first game of the season and the first under new head coach Russ Elliott.

Officials had many occasions to toss their yellow flags. The Jacks seemed to get fewer penalties and be the more disciplined team in the first half.

The game started out with a quick touchdown by East Valley, putting seven on the board in the first minute and a half.

The Jacks went four and out with a punt in their first possession.

The Red Devil’s second possession was long and interrupted numerous flags. They worked their way down to Quincy’s 7-yard line when David Medina came up with a big tackle. Yet, facing fourth and 3, East Valley went for it and scored with a pass to the right. The kick was good, making it 14-0 with 6:48 left in the quarter.

The Jacks then had their own solid drive. From about the East Valley 40, Gregg threw deep and it was picked off.

East Valley moved the ball to midfield with short gains. Then facing fourth down and 2, the Red Devils tried to convert but the pass failed.

The Jacks took over and moved the ball with some strong runs by Thompson and Gregg. But they eventually turned the ball over on downs. But East Valley in short order fumbled, and Thompson recovered it.

The Jacks’ next drive ended with Gregg kicking it away on fourth down in a surprise punt.

Each team had one more possession in the half, but the period ended with the Red Devils leading, 14-0.

The Jacks took over the momentum of offense in the third quarter, yet they did not get into the endzone.

The Jacks reached the Red Devils’ 38 in one drive, but could not convert on fourth and 17.

Near the end of the third quarter, the Jacks again threatened to score, driving down to the East Valley 35. That drive ended on fourth and 7 with a throw deep and two receivers heading toward the endzone, but the throw was long, incomplete.

During the Red Devils’ next possession, they dropped a lateral and the Jacks covered it.

With a great chance to score, starting from their opponents’ 32, the Jacks still did not capitalize. Thompson and Jackson Yeates had short runs. Then Gregg threw to the endzone, where a Red Devil caught it and ran it out to the 7.

East Valley drove down the field and scored with a short pass to the right with 3:39 left in the game. The point-after was good, making it 21-0.

During their final possession, the Jacks tried some short passes. Then a bobbled handoff was recovered by Thompson. With fourth and 10 time ran out on the Jacks.

Look for an update with more information in the Post-Register.

Join the online forum

Discuss this article with your neighbors or join the community conversation. Powered by our sister paper, The Wenatchee World.